History of this Club
97 Years of Service
The Rotary Club of Harrisburg
Organized - May 3, 1911
The 23rd club to be formed
Charter Granted - July 13, 1911
Membership - One hundred by May 1912, two hundred in 1947, Present membership approximately 190.
Club Paper - "Tachograph" the official Club paper, was adopted March 1914. The publication is now known as "Rotary Roundup".
First Ladies Night - February 6, 1912.
Rotary Flag - The Rotary Flag was unveiled on April 13, 1915.
World War I -Rotary sponsored a contingent company unit in the U.S. Army training at Gettysburg. Fund established for sending magazines, tobacco, candy and other small gifts. The Board of Directors passed a resolution, "that upon their return from service the Rotary Club pledges itself to use its best endeavors to procure employment for those who need it, etc. " The club also sponsored an amateur minstrel show to boost the sale of War Thrift Savings Stamps; receipts totaled $6,363.15.
World War II -Members of the club served in the Armed Forces of the United States. The club membership,
as a whole, aided in every war project on the home front: Civil Defense; U.S. Coast Guard;
Auxiliary Salvage Campaigns; Blood Donor Service; Clothing collections; Book collections;
Entertainment of military personnel from nearby military camps and depots.
District History - The Rotary Club of Harrisburg was part of what was called the Eastern Division in the early days of Rotary International. In 1915, Harrisburg together with the area including the Philadelphia, Reading, Baltimore and Washington Clubs were incorporated into the 3rd, later the 5th District. When separated from Philadelphia and Reading in 1922, Harrisburg was relocated in the 34th District. In 1937 this became the 180th, which still included Baltimore and Washington. In 1945, this District was redivided, and the Rotary Club of Harrisburg was placed in the 181st. In 1950, the 268th; in 1958, the 739th, and in 1994, the 7390th District.
Past District Governors - The following Harrisburg Rotarians served as District Governors:
Howard C. Fry- 1918-1919
George F. Lumb - 1922-1923
Richie Lawrie, Jr. - 1933-1934
Albert S. Schmidt - 1943-1944
John L. Tivney - 1954-1955
J. Bernard Schmidt - 1960-1961
George E. Reimer - 1973-1974
Francis R. Grady - 1985-1986
- Robert J. Hall - 1997-98
Clubs Organized - The Rotary Club of Harrisburg has organized the following clubs:
- York - 1916
- Waynesboro - 1920
- Carlisle - 1921
- Lykens - 1926
- Mechanicsburg - 1938
- West Shore - 1938
- Steelton - 1944 (reorganized to Harrisburg East - 1995)
- Hummelstown - 1946
- Harrisburg Capital City - 1990
- Harrisburg Keystone - 2005
- In turn, these clubs organized other clubs, so the Rotary Club of Harrisburg now has over a score of "grandchildren."
General Activities - Throughout the history of the Rotary Club of Harrisburg is found much evidence of the activities of the club in the four avenues of Rotary service. Its membership has been active in Boys’ work, the organization of the Boy Scouts (1916), Girl Scouts, Aid in Christmas Seal, Community and War Chest campaigns, Red Cross, Tri-County United Way and others. Crippled Children’s work was organized in 1927. PolioPlus Campaign: The members of the Rotary Club of Harrisburg contributed over $110,000 in 1986-86 in support of the PolioPlus Campaign. Community Service Award: In 1977, the Rotary Club of Harrisburg created the Community Service Award to annually honor a member of our Rotary Club for community service. Service Above Self: The Service Above Self Award was established in 1986 to annually honor the non-Rotarian uncompensated volunteers working in the area of human service, who best exemplifies the Rotary’s ideal, "service above self". 75th Anniversary: The Penn Harris Motor Inn and Convention Center was the location of our 75th Anniversary Celebration, which was well a attended by members of Rotary locally, nationally and internationally. Place of Meetings: Rotary club meetings were held in the Penn Harris Hotel until its demolition in 1972, at which time meetings were moved to the Ramada Hotel (formerly the Holiday Inn Center City). Since 1990 we have held meetings at the Harrisburg Hilton & Towers.
Grants - Since 1947, all local philanthropic activities of the club have been centered in the Harrisburg Rotary Foundation which handles both the maintenance of a central fund and the disbursement of donations and grants. To date, the Harrisburg Rotary Foundation has contributed funds of approximately $500,000 to eligible non-profits.
Charter Members - Of the first year group the last surviving members was Brook Trout who died in January 1975.
Special Recognition - Evan J.
Miller was a member of the Rotary Club of Harrisburg from April 1, 1920 - 1997. In 1995
Evan was recognized and honored for his 75 years of service in the Rotary Club of
Harrisburg. He died at age 101, attending one or two meetings each year until he
Female Members - The first woman member was inducted in 1987. In the intervening years four woman have served as president of our chapter..
The 50th Anniversary of the Club was held on May 3, 1961 in the Plantation Rom of the Penn Harris Hotel.
The 75th Anniversary of the Club was held at the Penn Harris Motor Inn and Convention Center. It was attended by local, national and international Rotarians.
The 90th 50th Anniversary of the Club was held on May 3, 2001 at the Harrisburg Hilton and Towers. Rotarians and guests enjoyed dinner, IMAX Movie and a dessert celebration with prizes.
DISTRICT CENTENNIAL EVENT
Honoring the century of community service on the local, regional and national level that has been at the core of Rotary since its founding by Paul Harris, the Harrisburg Rotary club hosted the gala District Event with a champagne toast, dinner and dancing.. More than 170 Rotarians from throughout central Pennsylvania celebrated Rotary Internationals' 100 years of civic service during a dinner-dance, December 13, at the Harrisburg Hotel and Towers.
Student members of the Youth Community Development Team, the Harrisburg Club’s Centennial Project, also joined in celebration. Leading the evening with the ceremonious Centennial Bell Ringing was our District Governor, Steve Messner and President, Jim Enders. Our partnership with America’s Promise was evidenced with the symbolic red wagon and distribution of mugs highlighting this effort.
Philadelphia, was next in line to receive the Centennial Bell, as it makes its way to visit the first 100 Rotary Clubs. It’s with enthusiasm, that we look forward to joining Rotarians, the world over, at the 2005 RI Convention in Chicago. We are honored and proud to be Rotarians this momentous evening!
Calendar of Events
- Nao Matushita, Youth Exchange Student and President Una Martone's Year in Review
June 24 (12:00 - noon)
- NO MEETING
July 01 (12:00 - noon)
- Rotary Board Meetng at Hilton
July 08 (10:30 am)
- Changing of the Guard
July 08 (12:00 - noon)
(Weekly Meetings)We thank our 2012-13 Rotary Team and induct our 2013-14 Rotary team.
- Barry Schoch
July 15 (12:00 - noon)
(Weekly Meetings)"THE ROAD MORE TRAVELLED: Pennsylvania's Transportation Crisis, Will Anything be Done"? SPEAKER: BARRY SCHOCH PA....
- Rotarians and Vision Partners Focused on Gift of Sight
- Speaking at Rotary... Penn State neuroscientist: More study needed on concussions in sports
- Funding Available through YCDT
- Youth exchange student prepares traditional Japanese dinner
- Rotarians Support 3rd Annual Project Homeless Connect in Harrisburg