Meets Noon Mondays at the Hilton
August 1, 2011
Speaker: Dr. John J. Sygielski, HACC President
Greeter: Tom Bream
AUG 15 Major Ed Shank, ".....And We Just Go
AUG 22 Michael Young, President/CEO PinnacleHealth
AUG 29 Kurt Moses, Holocaust survivor, author and lecturer
9/5 NO MEETING – Labor Day
For complete programming go to our website: www.hbgrotary.org
PROGRAM: John J. “Ski” Sygielski, Ed.D., is the seventh president of HACC, Central Pennsylvania’s Community College, and the immediate past chairman of the American Association of Community Colleges Board of Directors.
Prior to 2008, Ski served as president of Lord Fairfax Community College LFCC), a multi-campus learning community, for five years. From 1999 until 2003, Ski served as the first vice chancellor for workforce and economic development of the Virginia Community College System. Prior to 1999, he was an adjunct faculty member and administrator at College of DuPage (COD), Illinois’ largest community college, for nearly a decade. At COD, he developed the Suburban Law Enforcement Academy, significantly increased community and business outreach activities, developed and implemented new classes and programs, taught credit and non-credit business courses, received numerous federal and state grant awards, participated in the development of a community college in Bangalore, India and served on a variety of state, regional and local committees.
The recipient of Phi Theta Kappa’s Shirley B. Gordon Award of Distinction, Ski is an author, speaker, university lecturer and former adjunct business faculty member. He most recently joined the Higher Education Research & Development Institute (HERDI) Advisory Board, which is comprised of 30 community college presidents and chancellors. HERDI helps clients gain access to the decision makers, allowing them to market their ideas to a roundtable of community college presidents in a more efficient and successful manner and gain unprecedented insight into the needs of community colleges.
Ski has an honorary associate degree and earned a bachelor’s degree in philosophy, two master’s degrees and a doctorate. A native of Cleveland, Ohio, Dr. Ski is the only member of his working-class family to graduate from college. Ski is also a biking enthusiast.
NEWS AND NOTES:
• CENTENNIAL NEWS:
2. Tree opportunity – Still time to donate a tree in honor or in memory of a loved one make your tax deductible $250 check payable to Harrisburg Rotary Foundation.
3. Billboard winners: Congratulations to Tom Arnoldi, Jack Detweiler, Bob Craumer, Betty Hungerford, John Judson, Peggy Grove, Hal Hurwitz, Michael Hanes, Bridget Montgomery and Bob Saline. Thanks to Andy Rebuck on this membership drive/Centennial incentive.
100 New Trees for the City, More Than 100 Rotarians and Guests Celebrating a Centennial of Service Above Self
• The Year in Review is on the information table and on our website.
• DISTRICT NEWS:
LAST ROTARY MEETING: 7/25/11
President Bob opened the meeting at 12:10 PM. The Invocation was provided by Joan Prescott. Club singing, “Star Spangled Banner” was led by John Hickey accompanied by Norma Swain at the piano, immediately followed by the Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag.
President Bob re-opened the meeting at 12:23 PM introducing our Greeter for the day, Corinne Rebinski. Corinne introduced visiting Rotarians and guests. She subsequently did “Good News Reporting” as well. $37 was collected for HRF.
President Bob introduced the days program, Kent Frese addressing Social media – Facebook; LinkedIn; Twitter and how Harrisburg Rotary can use social media to attract new members, as well as members using the technology in their businesses. (Kent has been assisted in implementingsocial media for Harrisburg Rotary by Rotarians Jeff Haas and Matt Lane).
Kent is in Management and Leadership Consulting and is a managing Partner of Leadership Management Institute.
Kent talked about using social networking to gather interest. It is about “like-minded” people using easy communications. Facebook is about friendship networking with over 750 million users. It beats Google with total minutes per month and helps people communicate with family and friends. LinkedIn is professional networking with over 100 million users. Twitter is a facility to send short messages of 140 characters or less. It has Over 200 million users sending in excess of 350 million tweets per day, of Fresh real-time information and it’s FREE.
Harrisburg Rotary uses all of the above and also has a website to post information, has a “live” roster and takes 300-400 visits per month. If you haven’t visited our Club’s site, you should take time to do so.
Kent then addressed the many devices used to connect and communicate by way of social media. Apple has a significant lead in this area with over 200 million devices, followed by Google Android with about 71 million devices.
Why should you care about any of this? Some of the reasons are:
For those not in attendance, you missed a “great tutorial” on social media. Why should you care? If any of your business interest benefits from/targets those younger than most of us, you won’t attract them via traditional media so you should be paying attention and implementing social media (albeit possibly carefully). To the extent you want/need to catch up, contact Kent, Jeff Haas or Matt Lane for assistance (and just look at their average age!).
Robert S. Saline
- Rotary Roundup for May 20, 2013
- Rotary Roundup for May 6, 2013
- Rotary Roundup for April 29, 2013
- Rotary Roundup for April 22,2013
- Rotary Roundup for March 25, 2013
- Rotary Roundup for March 18, 2013
- Rotary Roundup for March 11, 2013
- Rotary Roundup for March 4, 2013
- Rotary Roundup for February 25, 2013
- Rotary Roundup for February 11, 2013
- Rotary Roundup for February 4, 2013
- Rotary Roundup for January 28, 2013
- Rotary Roundup for January 14, 2013
- Rotary Roundup for January 7, 2012
- Rotary Roundup for December 17, 2012
- Rotary Roundup for December 10, 2012
- Rotary Roundup for December 12, 2012
- Rotary Roundup for November 12, 2012
- Rotary Roundup for October 22, 2012
- Rotary Roundup for October 15, 2012
Calendar of Events
- NO MEETING
May 27 (12:00 - noon)
- Rotary Board Meetng
June 03 (10:30 am)
- Anne Stewart, Andrew W. Mellon Teaching Fellow in the department of Religious Studies at Agnes Scott College in Decatur, GA
June 03 (12:00 - noon)
(Weekly Meetings)TITLE: "THE SOURCES OF WISDOM: What is it, Where Did it Come From,What Does it Mean for You?"
- Hanson Lunch at Rotary Office
June 07 (12:00 - noon)
- Alan Hineline, CEO and Resident Choreographer, Central PA Youth Ballet
June 10 (12:00 - noon)
(Weekly Meetings)TITLE: "THE AMAZING AND SPARKLING GIFT IN OUR COMMUNITY!"